Friday, June 20, 2014

    This week was an amazing adventure, simply the logistics of this team was a daunting task even for Sam who has been on the ground here for 15 years.  We traveled to the island of Roatan which is off the Caribbean coast of Honduras.  This is the third team in a row that we have traveled to do ministry with.  I always thought that I worked a very psychically demanding job back in the states, but I am finding that the life of a missionary might possibly be one of the most demanding jobs in the world.  There are times when you are literally exhausted when you wake up, and you just have to push threw the day and it seems that those are the days that go late into the night.  My day starts as soon as I wake up, I really fell a burden to help with breakfast.  Honestly all the meals as much as I can and serving them and cleaning up after, I am learning so much about being a servant, I witness our cook Clemy live as an example to what a real servant looks like.  She is never with out a smile, she never expects a thank you, and when she gets praise, she is extremely humble about it.  In my life I have always strived to be at the top of anything I do, to be the best at what I am doing.  I am thankful to God  that I have always started at the bottom in all those instances, and worked my way up the ladder.  I truly am at the bottom of the ladder here, and through it God is teaching me humility.  Even to the point of knowing what the Bible says about something but not being able to say it, so I literally have to live it out to be a witness.  Going away for these teams I am finding that I long to be back at the house at the end of the week, I am homesick but it is for the house in Tequcigalpa haha.
    This week I was privileged to meet ten new brothers and sisters in Christ.  They hail from First Baptist Church in Hendersonville Tennessee.  Which was funny cause I am from Hendersonville North Carolina, but from the start I was nervous cause this was our first baptist church and they were all older folks.  Those two combinations in my past have not meshed so well, being with a few tattoos and having a little different method to how I witness to folks it sometimes is hard with a group of more conservative people.  Well needless to say that barrier was crushed as soon as we boarded the bus, and one of the older women spoke up and asked to see my tattoos, then the whole group was around me observing my ink haha.  As we traveled along killing time before there next flight to the island, I found myself dead locked in a conversation with two of the men about a trip to Israel they took.  It was as if these men had known me their entire lives and really cared about sharing their journey that God had taken them on through the years.  The whole group was very interested in my journey and where I had been and how it was that God had brought me to Honduras.  I really fell like when we as a family of Christ focus on the things that make us different it really tears us apart and grieves God, but when those same people focus on what we share in common which is the love of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, we are a force that cannot be contained.
    That is exactly what took place this week when this new found family locked arms and served the creator of the universe.  We were privileged enough to once again enter a public school and have the opportunity to share the love of Christ with these kids.  I really feel like this was kinda of a stretch for some of these folks.  Our typical method is to split the classes in half and work with each half for thirty min.  Half the team does rec and teaches that in competition situations you should always be fair and work as team if you expect to come out on the other side victorious.  Also a lesson to learn is that you don't always win, but when you do you should act humble about it.  This is a great time to connect with the kids because you can get around the barrier of language, because everyone understands smiles and laughter, and when we do rec that is all it is, is a very joy filled engagement with these children.  The other half of the group remains in the class.  First we start with worship and fun music and silly games to get the kids to loosen up and see we are human and fun. Wilmer leads this time and just has an amazing gift from God that makes kids just gravitate to him it truly is amazing.  We really encourage the team to jump in and learn and lead some of the dance moves, and usually by the second day everyone is in on the fun and having a great time.  After worship the team begins the ministry aspect that they prepared for the week, and begin to build in 30 minute sessions the story of Jesus and what it means to be a Christ Follower.  At the end of the week the school invited us to a program that they had put together, they sang their national anthem, they dance, and do dramas showing how much pride they have for Honduras, and to present a letter of gratification for our willingness to come and share at their school and to partner with them to fulfill their needs.  After we have one of our staff pastors lead and invitation, then the pastors and translators ask the 67 kids this time that prayed to receive Christ what they fill like they have done, then we pass that information onto the pastor in the village to do follow up with the school and the kids.
     On top of the amazing student ministry these guys pulled off, at night they also hosted a marriage conference for anyone who wanted to attend.  We were staying in the French Harbor, at the baptist church, but like in America all the church's were on the same street.  So unlike in America they all attended the conference are people were hosting.  All in all it was really amazing to see that many people come together to learn how to make their marriages stronger.  I played witness to some very faithful people share what the bible has to say about marriage, and the roles that each sex plays in it.  The very first night over fifty couples stood up and came to the altar to pray aloud for their marriages and families.  It was simply amazing and really set the tone for the rest of the week.  Word even got out about the conference and the team was invited to come and give a one night version, at a church on the other side of the island.  God truly blessed the hands of the workers, and through their faithfulness families and marriages will be changed for ever on the island of Roatan.
     All support is appreciated as this life's work cannot be done with out God and his support through His people. Prayer support and financial support are always in need. If you are able to support financially please visit http://www.ignitemissions.org/#!contact/c175r this will take you directly to the support link. Simply follow the provided directions and add Coy Houston Davis in the memo line. Thank you for your support emotionally, spiritually, prayerfully, and financially.

No comments:

Post a Comment